Wendy Morris Presents:
The Florida Dream
Wendy Morris Realty
Dr Phillips Luxury Real Estate
Ten Things Every Home Buyer Should Know! 32819 | 32836 | Wendy Morris Realty Dr Phillips
- Do your HOA homework before you make an offer! Don't buy your perfect dream home in the neighborhood from hell.
- Know who is in control. Almost always the association is a non-profit corporation and it is governed by a board of directors. This is either the declarant (developer/builder) or elected residents. Generally 20% of associations contract with a professional management company for the day to day operations.
- Know your association is a pre or post transition. The process of transferring control from the developer to the association residents is called "transition". The developer has wide latitude to amend the documents and change development standards when in control.
- Ask for and read the governing documents before making an offer.
- Ask for and review the association's finances. Review the operating budget and make sure the reserve fund is adequate for future capital projects.
- Know that the associated fees (assessments) are required and that the board usually has the authority to impose special assessments.
- Know that you have to live by the rules or gain the support of the community to amend the governing documents and rules.
- Know that the board has the power to assess fines, restrict access to services, place liens and foreclose.
- Know that the HOA laws vary widely by state and are complicated. Right or wrong, lawsuits are expensive, time consuming and stressful. Better to educate yourself rather than becoming involved in a lawsuit.
- Don't be a whiner if you don't do all of your homework and purchase in a community with HOA issues. Your alternatives include accepting the issues, making things better by becoming more involved, filing a lawsuit, or just moving. The choice is yours 's and this is great advice before your realtor writes your contract for the home of your dream for your family.
All listing information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified through personal inspection by appropriate professionals. Listings displayed on this website may be subject to prior sale or removal from sale; availability of any listing should always be independent verified. Listing information is provided for consumer personal, non-commercial use, solely to identify potential properties for potential purchase; all other use is strictly prohibited and may violate relevant federal and state law.
The source of the listing data is as follows:
| Stellar MLS (updated 12/5/19 10:23 PM)